Monday, October 13, 2008

"No PC, god damn right..." - Benicio del Toro, Usual Suspects

Great short story that ties in with the "not letting cops do shit they dont have a right to do" issue from the crime & punishment chapter in the book.about a week ago im walking for 3 blocks from one bar to the next in the east village. for the first time in a while, i'm holding about 2 grams of blow on my person, which is another rule i only broke because my coke-freak friend Rob insisted that we save it for the next bar. so im walking down this dark, quiet side street with David and Scott. Scott is also holding stuff. I first notice an unmarked van steadily driving behind us when i look back to respond to David, who is attempting to convince me to break out my blow for a bump... i laugh and tell him we'll be at the bar in two minutes.. my hand is in my jacket pocket holding my stuff. despite david's comments, i keep my hand in my pocket. the van now slows down even more about 10 feet behind us. keep in mind, im about 8 drinks deep at this point. we had been watching the NBA playoffs for a while at the last bar. i say to david and scott, "dude, shut the fuk up, thats a freakin narc right there." they laugh and tell me to shut up.. i make eye contact with the driver and shout, "Excuse me? no thank you! we're not buying your shit!!" essentially trying to tell them to get the fuck away from us, whether they were cops or not. one could already tell it was amatuer night and these potential cops were rookies at best. these two thugged out 20-something year old spanish girls jump out of the van in unison... as they speedwalk towards me and break out their badge necklaces, the driver shouts, "whats in your pocket, right now?!" the last thing i planned on doing that night, short of getting shot, was getting arrested for coke posession...Scott immediately heads in the opposite direction and into the shadows... but they arent moving for him... i say, "im sorry, what the fuk are you doing! why are you approaching us?" they dont answer. one is already holding out handcuffs and the other has a hand on her gun.. "show us what in your pocket!" the driver shouts again. "where'd you get those necklaces, a toy store?" i continued, "i swear to god, you fuking touch me and i'll call the real police." the driver grabs my wrist. i turn to my friend david in disbelief, "are you gonna let them grab me like this?". David was at a loss for words, though i think less stressed since he actually wasnt holding anything.... i rip my arm out from her grip as the other is looking to cuff me and i briskly start to walk away towards the avenue, sternly saying, "stay the fuck away from me." i only glance back as i turn the corner to see that david is allowing these people to search him... i continue to walk. i think to run, but i always picture that when one is running, it provokes the aggressor to come and tackle the runner's face into the concrete. i turn the corner and slide into the first bar i see. i go down the stairs and sit in the bathroom for about two minutes, hiding my stuff along the way... of course, i was right... they did prove to be narcs when they followed thru with scanning david's I.D. in the van. point is... WHY DID THEY NOT FOLLOW ME AROUND THE CORNER? THE ANSWER IN MY AMATEUR OPINION... they didnt have any probable cause to be searching us in the first place.. i just had to make enough of a fus to make it not worth it for them... too many people dont know their rights and get busted because they let a nosy cop do something that wasnt necessary... anyway, i love the story because of the close call and also the fact that i called out those fools for being narcs when my friends didnt believe me...- any possible opinions on this from lawyers, cops, or convicts would be appreciated..thanks.
-J.M.

No comments: